Grain Free Granola
When I was following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I couldn’t eat grains of any kind. I really missed granola, and back then, I couldn’t find any grain free varieties in stores so I created this recipe using nuts, seeds, and coconut flakes. Even though I can tolerate most grains again, and there are now many grain free granola options in stores, I still prefer this homemade version. It makes a wonderful snack, cereal, or topping for yogurt and açaí bowls. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups walnut pieces
1 1/2 cups raw slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tablespoons butter (or coconut oil for dairy free or vegan)
1/2 cup honey (or pure maple syrup for vegan)
1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1 cup dried blueberries, unsweetened or sweetened with fruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl combine walnuts, almonds, coconut, and pumpkin seeds and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine honey or maple syrup with the butter or coconut oil.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the warm honey over the mixture in the bowl and stir well.
- Spread the granola mixture on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the blueberries for the last 4-5 minutes of cooking.
- Spread granola onto sheets of parchment paper or silicone liners and cool.
- Store in an airtight container.