Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream
The cashews in this dairy free ice cream give it an incredibly creamy texture making it difficult to tell that it is dairy free. It is hard to believe that a few simple ingredients can produce this delicious healthy treat! After you have finished freezing the ice cream in your ice cream maker, it’s usually the texture of soft-serve ice cream. You can eat it right away or store in the freezer for later. When stored in the freezer, it will harden a lot more than store-bought ice cream because it is not whipped and aerated the way commercially produced ice cream is. Set it out on the counter for 20-30 minutes before serving or zap it in the microwave to soften. Enjoy!
2 cups raw cashews
2 cups filtered water plus more for soaking cashews
3/4 cup real maple syrup
1/2 cup raw cacao
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP real vanilla extract
- Place the cashews in a medium bowl and cover with filtered water.
- Loosely cover and soak the cashews at room temperature for 6 hours or in the refrigerator overnight.
- Fill a blender with 2 cups of chilled filtered water.
- Drain the cashews and add them to the blender.
- Add the maple syrup, cacao, sea salt, and vanilla.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s directions.
- It should take about 20-30 minutes to reach the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the freezer.
- Makes 1 quart of ice cream