These are honestly the best burgers. I have yet to meet someone who has not loved them. My mother made these often when we were growing up and they are still a favorite for everyone in my family. Be sure to use 85% or 90% lean beef. A higher fat content than that will cause the burgers to fall apart on the grill. For those of you who like more fat in your ground beef, don’t worry. The avocado adds enough fat to keep them tender and juicy. At my house, we like to eat these wrapped in lettuce with tomato. If you eat bread, they are also incredible on a toasted, buttered bun. Enjoy!
2 lbs grass fed beef, 85% or 90% lean
1 avocado, mashed
4 oz can diced green chilis
¼ cup chopped green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
8 fresh tomato slices
8 large lettuce leaves
8 slices Monterey Jack cheese, optional
8 toasted and buttered hamburger buns, optional
- In a large bowl combine the burger ingredients and mix well.
- Form into 8 patties and grill over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- If using cheese, top burgers for last minute of cooking.
- Wrap burgers in lettuce leaf with tomato if not using buns.
- If you are serving on a bun, place hamburger buns open face down on the grill for a minute or two to toast.
- Butter and top the buns with burger, lettuce and tomato.
Makes 8 burgers.