White Bean and Pancetta Soup
Nothing is more comforting on a cold or gloomy day than a warm bowl of soup. This white bean and pancetta soup is simple to make and very satisfying.
Beans are a great source of prebiotic fiber for the microbes in your gut. They also provide ample protein to the diet. This combination of protein and fiber makes beans very filling. The salty pancetta in this recipe gives the mild beans a nice burst of flavor while the fresh thyme and garlic round out the dish splendidly.
I like to partially puree this soup so half of the beans are creamy and the other half is left chunky, which gives it a hearty consistency.
4 TBSP olive oil
2 cups diced onion
8 oz. diced pancetta
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP chopped thyme
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 29 oz. can and 1 15 oz. can Canellini or other white beans
2 cups chicken stock
- Place the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pancetta and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the beans and broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, partially puree. Leave half of the beans chunky and the other half creamy.
- Return to the heat and adjust seasoning.
- Serves 4.