Grain Free Toasted Coconut Cookies
These tasty, chewy cookies are vegan and grain-free. The toasted coconut and maple syrup compliment each other’s natural sweetness. They are wonderful on their own or drizzled with dark chocolate. My husband loves them without the chocolate so when I make them I only use the chocolate over half of them. Enjoy!
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
⅔ cup real maple syrup
½ teaspoon grain-free baking powder like Hain brand or homemade
(For homemade baking powder whisk 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 Tablespoons baking soda together. Sift as needed)
1 ½ teaspoons real vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 3 oz bar dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sprinkle coconut onto a dry cookie sheet.
3. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes or until golden, shaking the pan every minute or so.
4. Set the toasted coconut aside.
5. In a medium bowl place the coconut, almond flour, syrup, baking powder, and vanilla then stir well.
6. Scoop Tablespoons of dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
7. Press down slightly with the bottom of a glass covered with a piece of parchment paper to keep from sticking.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
9. Cool on a baking rack.
10. Break the chocolate bar into pieces and melt in the microwave or in a double boiler.
11. Stir well and drizzle the chocolate with a spoon over the cooled cookies.
12. Set the tray of cookies in the freezer until chocolate is set.
13. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
These cookies can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 20 cookies.