Southwestern Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potato fries are on my list of all time favorite foods. When I order them at a restaurant it takes a tremendous amount of restraint for me to not finish the whole plate. I know that many restaurants add extra ingredients and use cooking methods that are not necessary for delicious sweet potato fries. When I make them at home, I don’t have to worry about overindulging because they are baked instead of fried, which makes them much healthier. In this recipe, I add southwestern seasoning to give them a kick and serve them with a simple seasoned fry sauce. The arrowroot is a grain-free starch that helps to make fries crispy. If you are not concerned with the fries being grain free, you can substitute cornstarch for the arrowroot.
2-3 large sweet potatoes
2 TBSP avocado oil
2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 TBSP arrowroot starch
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mayonnaise or veganaise
chopped fresh cilantro and coarse sea salt for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- In a small bowl combine the sea salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- In another small bowl combine the ketchup and mayonnaise and add 1 1/2 tsp of the seasoning mix. Set aside.
- Add the arrowroot to the remaining seasoning and mix well.
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/4” fries keeping them as close to the same length as possible.
- Place the fries in a large bowl and toss with the avocado oil.
- Add the seasoning with the arrowroot and toss to coat the fries well.
- Spread the fries on an unlined baking sheet pan without crowding them. If necessary use a second pan for extra fries.
- Place the baking sheet in the top third of the oven. I find that it works best to bake one sheet pan at a time. If you have a second pan, bake them in another oven, or wait until the first pan is done.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then flip the fries and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 15-25 minutes or until crisp and browned.
- Place the sweet potato fries on a serving tray and top with chopped fresh cilantro and coarse sea salt. Serve with the seasoned fry sauce.