Seared Tuna Bowls
When my daughters visit from college, I ask them what meals they want me to prepare while they are home. Their first request is always seared tuna bowls. This dish is light and fresh with a delicious combination of flavors. It is one of those satisfying meals that leaves you feeling full, but not feeling stuffed. I usually make the bowls with sushi rice, but you can substitute lightly sautéed cauliflower rice if you would rather make a grain-free option. Both methods are delightful. I use tamari in this recipe, which is a gluten-free soy sauce. You can substitute traditional soy sauce if you prefer. You can also use coconut aminos with a dash of salt if you would like a soy-free version. If you are following a paleo diet, prepare the dish with both the cauliflower rice and the coconut aminos.
2 pounds of ahi or yellowtail tuna steaks, 2-4 steaks
1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup tamari
4 tsp minced garlic
2 TBSP grated ginger
4 tsp lime juice
2 TBSP olive or avocado oil
3 cups cooked sushi rice, warm
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 TBSP toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 batch of Easy Asian Slaw, see recipe below
- Whisk together the toasted sesame oil, tamari, garlic, and lime juice.
- Place the tuna steaks in the marinade and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Remove the tuna from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat and coat with olive or avocado oil.
- Cook the tuna steaks for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest.
- Divide the Asian slaw and cooked sushi rice between 4 bowls.
- Slice the seared tuna against the grain and add to the bowls.
- Top with avocado, mango, green onions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
- Serve with tamari or soy sauce, and chipotle lime mayonnaise (We like Primal Kitchen brand).
Ingredients for the Easy Asian Slaw:
6 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
2 TBSP toasted sesame oil
2 TBSP tamari
2 TBSP honey
1 TBSP rice vinegar or lime juice
2 tsp grated ginger
Directions for the Easy Asian Slaw:
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients except the shredded cabbage and whisk until smooth.
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir well.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.