Roasted Pumpkin and Quinoa Salad
This roasted pumpkin salad is festive with colorful ingredients that look and taste like fall. It is hearty and can be served as an entree or side salad. Vegans can substitute riced cauliflower for the goat cheese. Enjoy!
Ingredients for the salad:
1 small pie or sugar pumpkin
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup red quinoa, uncooked
6 cups spinach, chopped
2 oz. crumbled goat cheese or riced cauliflower
1/2 cup dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice
1/2 cup roasted and salted pepitas
Ingredients for dressing:
3 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cut the pumpkin in half.
- Using a large spoon, scrape out the seeds and fibrous strands.
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges and remove the skin.
- Cut the wedges into cubes.
- In a medium bowl, place the pumpkin cubes, olive oil, sea salt, paprika, cumin and cayenne and mix well.
- Spread the pumpkin on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast for 40-50 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a small sauce pan with 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook the quinoa until all the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Place chopped spinach in a salad bowl.
- Top spinach with quinoa.
- Add the roasted pumpkin.
- Add the goat cheese or riced cauliflower, cranberries, and pepitas.
- Place ingredients for the dressing in a small jar and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
- Serves 2 as an entree or 4-6 as a side salad.