Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
This fresh, light salad was inspired by the popular Mediterranean-Middle Eastern tabouli, which is traditionally made using bulgur wheat. In this recipe, the bulgur is replaced by quinoa, making it gluten free. Quinoa is higher in fiber than most grains and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. The fresh tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, parsley, and lemon juice make this recipe the perfect summer dish. Serve it on it’s own or with grilled chicken, lamb, or feta cheese. Enjoy!
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
1 cup chopped cucumber
1 cup chopped green onion
1 cup chopped parsley
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. In a small sauce pan bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
2. Stir in the quinoa, then turn the heat down to low.
3. Cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
4. Use a fork to fluff and separate the grains.
5. Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl.
6. Add the tomato, cucumber, green onion, and parsley.
7. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and stir well.
8. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
9. Makes 4-6 servings.