There is nothing more comforting on a cold winter day than a cozy bowl of chili. In this recipe, I skip the ground beef and use lentils instead. The texture and flavor is similar to a traditional chili and is just as satisfying. For serving, I like to top this dish with coconut yogurt and chopped onions.
2 1/2-3 cups cooked lentils
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion diced, about 1 1/2 cups
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can drained pinto beans or 1 3/4 cups soaked and cooked beans
- Place the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes stirring.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the sea salt, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder and black pepper. Stir well.
- Add the lentils, pinto beans, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings.