Lentil and Cauliflower Rice Bowls
This is one of my all-time favorite meatless dishes. It is inspired by Mujadara, which is a Lebanese dish made of lentils, rice, and caramelized onions. In this recipe I substitute cauliflower rice for the rice and top the mixture with Lemon Garlic Tahini Sauce. It is the ultimate comfort food and perfect for enjoying on a cold winter day.
4 TBSP olive oil
2 large onions
1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils
3 cups of water or broth
4 cups of riced cauliflower
1 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP cumin
Lemon Garlic Tahini Sauce recipe below
1 bunch of fresh parsley chopped
- Cut the onions in half and thinly slice them.
- In a large sauté pan heat 2 TBSP olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse the lentils.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the lentils and water or broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain any excess liquid and return to the pan.
- When the onions are a deep brown, remove half of them from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1- 2 TBSP of olive oil to the pan with the remaining onions.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the olive oil and onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, sea salt, and cumin to the mixture and combine well.
- Divide the lentil mixture between 2-4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with the extra caramelized onions.
- Drizzle with Lemon Garlic Tahini Sauce and top with chopped parsley
Lemon Garlic Tahini Sauce
1/2 cup tahini
1/4-1/2 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin
- Place all the ingredients in a small food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Adjust the amount of water to achieve desired consistency.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.