Kale Salad with Garlic Dressing
I’ll be honest here: Kale was not one of my favorite vegetables. It is, however, a nutritional powerhouse loaded with vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids and fiber,making it very worthy of consumption. Because of the nutritional benefits, I used to just throw kale in my smoothies to make sure I was getting it in my diet. Then I started adding a little to my salads, adding more each time. It grew on me, and now I love it. This salad is one of my favorite ways to eat kale now. The strong garlic flavor in the dressing complements the greens very well.
1 bunch fresh kale
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
3 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Wash kale, remove the center rib, and trim off the ends.
2. Chop the kale into thin strips, then chop crosswise into small pieces and set aside.
3. Place garlic, dijon, lemon juice, and salt in a mini food processor and blend well.
4. With food processor running, slowly add olive oil until combined. It will be thick.
5. Place the kale, pine nuts, and parmesan in a salad bowl.
6. Add half of the dressing and toss.
7. Store the remaining dressing in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 5 days.