Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Marinating then searing on a hot grill is a simple way to prepare flank steak. The marinade is easy to make, tenderizes the beef, and adds a great boost of flavor. Once grilled, it is important to slice the meat against the grain to avoid a chewy texture because when cut properly, the steak is just as tender as more expensive cuts of beef. Marinated grilled flank steak is great on it’s own or used in tacos or fajitas. My favorite way to serve it is with chimichurri, a flavorful herb and garlic sauce. It is simple to make and complements the steak very well.
1/3 cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 lemons, juiced
1 flank steak, about 1 1/2 – 2 pounds
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Place the flank steak in a large baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over the steak and flip to coat both sides.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 30 minutes before cooking, let the steak sit at room temperature
- Turn the grill on and bring up to medium-high heat.
- Wipe off excess marinade with a paper towel and place the steak on the hot grill.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes then flip.
- Grill for another 4-5 minutes or until medium-rare.
- Remove the steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the steak across the grain into thin strips.
- Serve with Chimichurri sauce, see recipe below.
1 cup of fresh cilantro
1 cup of fresh flat leaf parsley
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup olive oil
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl.
- Blend again for another 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- If refrigerated, bring to room temperature before serving.