Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
This simple salad is as delicious as it is gorgeous. The bright grapefruit and creamy avocado complement each other impeccably well. To preserve the individual flavors of each fruit, I keep the dressing simple using only olive oil and Maldon sea salt. The microgreens add an additional boost of nutrients, and the pistachios give the salad a delightful crunch. This salad is a beautiful accompaniment to any brunch, lunch, or dinner table.
3 cups arugula
2 ripe but firm avocados
2 ruby red grapefruits
1/3 cup pistachios nuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup of microgreens
Olive oil for drizzling
Maldon sea salt, or other coarse sea salt flakes
- Using a sharp knife, trim off the ends of a grapefruit and place it with the cut side up.
- Cut off the rind and pith following the shape of the fruit, taking care not to remove too much of the flesh.
- Slice lengthwise between the membrane and a section of the grapefruit. Repeat on the other side of the segment.
- Repeat until all of the grapefruit segments are cut and removed.
- Repeat with the second grapefruit.
- Cut an avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit.
- Using a large spoon scoop out the flesh of the avocado in one piece.
- Place the avocado with the cut side down on a cutting board and slice lengthwise.
- Repeat with the second avocado.
- Place the arugula on a medium platter or in a shallow bowl.
- Arrange the grapefruit sections and avocado over the arugula, alternating between fruits.
- Drizzle olive oil over the salad.
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes over the salad.
- Top with the microgreens.
- Sprinkle the pistachio nuts on top of the salad.
- Serves 2-4.