Dairy Free White Chicken Chili
White chicken chili makes a delicious meal on a cold day. However, most recipes include a lot of dairy, which can make it heavy and too rich. In this version, I omit the cream and cheese, instead pureeing the ingredients with white beans to give the chili the same creamy consistency as one made with dairy.
For the cooked and shredded chicken breasts, I like to use a pressure cooker because it is so quick and easy. I put the chicken breasts in the pressure cooker and add 1/2 cup of chicken stock and turn it on the poultry setting. It only takes 15 minutes. When the chicken is finished cooking, I use a hand mixer to shred it. You can use this method or cook and shred the chicken however you like. The chicken can even be prepared ahead of time for this recipe.
I like to top this white chicken chili with sliced avocado, pico de gallo, jalapeño slices and fresh cilantro. If you eat and enjoy dairy, feel free to top it with shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese.
2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
3 TBSP olive oil
2 cups diced onion
1 TBSP minced garlic
2 jalapeno, minced
2 tsp sea salt
2 TBSP cumin
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 15 oz cans of white cannellini or great northern beans, drained
1 1/2-2 cups chicken stock, divided
avocado, pico de gallo, jalapeño slices, and fresh cilantro for topping
- In a medium pot, heat 3 TBSP of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, cumin, white pepper, and smoked paprika and mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock and 1 can of beans; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and puree the mixture with an immersion or stand up blender.
- If using a stand up blender, wipe out the pot with a paper towel and pour the blended soup back into the pot.
- Return to heat and add the shredded chicken and the other can of beans.
- Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock and mix well, adding more stock if needed for desired consistency.
- Return the chili to a simmer and serve.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve with tortilla chips.