Butter Leaf Salad with Goat Cheese Medallions
I love butter leaf lettuce, and I love warm goat cheese. Combine the two, and you have the perfect salad. Slices of goat cheese are coated in egg and then coated in an almond flour mixture and lightly fried. The goat cheese medallions are placed on the tender lettuce leaves along with toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds. I like to serve it with a light shallot vinaigrette. Enjoy!
2 heads butter leaf lettuce
3/4 cup walnut halves and pieces
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
6 oz goat cheese, chilled
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
Shallot vinaigrette, recipe below
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread the walnuts on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Toast the walnuts in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until browned, shaking halfway through.
- Set aside to cool.
- Split the butter leaf lettuce heads in half and arrange on four salad plates.
- Top the greens with toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Using dental floss, cut the goat cheese into 8 slices.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg until blended.
- In another small bowl, combine the almond flour, garlic powder, and salt.
- Dip a slice of goat cheese in the egg and then toss in the almond flour mixture.
- Repeat with remaining goat cheese and place the medallions on a small plate or tray.
- Put the goat cheese medallions in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into a medium sauté pan until it reaches up about 1/4 inch on the side of the pan.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Gently fry the medallions until golden brown, flipping once.
- Place 2 medallions on each salad.
- Drizzle with Shallot Vinaigrette to taste.
- Serve while goat cheese is warm.
- Makes 4 servings.
Ingredients for Shallot Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup olive oil
3 TBSP white balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP mince shallots
Directions for Shallot Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients to a small jar and seal.
- Shake the dressing until well combined.
- The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.