Spicy Watermelon Margaritas
I really enjoy a good margarita. Drinking one transports me to a beach and puts me in vacation mode. In the summer, it is nice to take advantage of the seasonal options and use fresh watermelon for a twist on this classic cocktail. Plus the color is gorgeous. A spicy simple syrup made with honey and jalapeños adds the right amount of heat to balance the sweetness of the watermelon. For a nonalcoholic version, substitute club soda for the tequila. This recipe makes 8 cocktails so adjust the amounts accordingly. Enjoy!
4 cups diced watermelon
12-15 limes, or enough to make 8 oz of juice
1 cup honey
16 oz tequila blanco
Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Roughly chop the jalapeños.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, jalapeños and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes for lighter heat, up to 4 minutes for more heat.
- Strain the spicy honey syrup into a jar or glass container and cool.
- Place the watermelon and 1/4 cup water in a blender and blend 1-2 minutes.
- Strain the watermelon juice through a fine sieve.
- Juice the limes to make 8 oz juice.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a cocktail glass and dip in pink salt.
- Add ice to the glass.
- In a cocktail shaker add 2 oz watermelon juice, 1 oz lime juice, 1 oz spicy honey syrup, 2 oz tequila, and a few ice cubes. You can double this to make 2 drinks at a time.
- Shake well.
- Strain into the cocktail glass.
- Garnish with watermelon cube and rind, limes or jalapeño slices.
- Makes 8 margaritas.