Mexican Street Corn Salad
I love Mexican street corn and I also love a good green salad. I was craving both one day so I decided to combine the two in one dish. The recipe that resulted has become the most requested menu item in my house this summer. It is simple to make and full of great flavor. Enjoy!
1 large or 2 small heads of romaine washed and dried
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
4 cobs of corn
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
4 oz. Cojita cheese crumbled
1/3 cup roasted and salted pepitas
1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
1 jalapeño sliced crosswise
1/3 cup homemade or good quality mayonnaise
1/3 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
- Chop the romaine lettuce and place in a large salad bowl or platter.
- Cut the corn kernels off of the cob.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the diced onions and corn kernels to the pan and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and cayenne pepper and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until some of the corn and onions are caramelized and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Place the corn and onion mixture over the romaine lettuce.
- Sprinkle the Cojita cheese and cilantro on top of the corn.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad then top with the pepitas and sliced jalapeños.
- Serves 4-6.