Grain Free Apple Streusel Muffins
These muffins are moist, delicious and taste like a dessert. But since they are made with almond flour and sweetened with honey, they are actually a healthy breakfast or snack. I like to use Honeycrisp apples, but you can use any baking apple. Any muffins that don’t get eaten right away can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for a month. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Muffins:
3 large eggs
2/3 cup honey
1 cup of diced Honeycrisp or other baking apple
2 1/2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 Tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for streusel topping:
1 Tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup chopped pecans
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup almond flour
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners
- To make the streusel topping, melt 1 Tbsp butter or coconut oil in a medium sauté pan.
- Add the pecans, 2 Tbsp honey and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup almond flour.
- Mix well and transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Crumble and separate the topping with your fingers and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs and 2/3 cup of honey on high for 3 minutes until frothy.
- Add 2 Tbsp of melted butter or coconut oil and apple sauce.
- Mix until combined.
- Add 2 1/2 cups almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Mix on medium for 1 minute, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Stir in the diced apples by hand.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Top with streusel topping.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Makes 10-12 muffins.