Gluten Free Crunch Cookies
I love a chocolate chip cookie that is soft but has a little crunch to it. In this version, I use puffed quinoa to achieve the crunch. I order the puffed quinoa from nuts.com. These cookies are gluten and dairy free and sweetened with coconut sugar, but you would never know it. They have quickly become my family’s favorite. If you want to make them completely grain free and paleo compliant, use toasted coconut in place of the quinoa. They will not have the same crunch, but they will still be delicious. You can find coconut sugar and palm shortening at Whole Foods, Thrive Market, and most grocery stores. Enjoy!
1/2 cup palm shortening
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup almond flour
2 TBSP coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1 /4 cup puffed quinoa
1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a stand up mixer, mix together the palm shortening and coconut sugar until well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix well, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- Add the puffed quinoa and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- Lightly press the the cookies and shape into rounds.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes and then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Makes 2 dozen cookies.