When I was following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I couldn’t use bottled condiments and sauces because of the added sugars and additives, which motivated me to make a barbecue sauce from scratch that I could use with some of my favorite recipes. I sweeten the sauce with dates and honey and use tomatoes without any added sugars. I still prefer this sauce over bottled sauce. Enjoy!
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 dates pitted and chopped
4 tsp chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, no added sugar
1 cup water
Directions for Barbecue Sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, sauté the onions in olive oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dates and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, cumin, chili powder, and pepper and mix well.
- Add Dijon, honey, vinegar, tomatoes, and water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Blend in a blender until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.